Curried Lentils with Winter Squash
By Mitch Samples
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 medium Onion, diced
1 clove garlic
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
2 Tbs Vinegar of choice
2 stalks of Celery, diced
1 small winter squash, cubed
2 Carrots, diced
1 ½ C Lentils
2 Tbs Garam Masala
4 C Water or Chicken Stock
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat pan on stove to high heat.
- Add diced onions to dry hot pan and sauté until they begin to brown.
- Add half the oil and all the sugar to the onions and caramelize them.
- Add vinegar and reduce until nearly dry.
- Add the remaining oil, celery, carrots and squash and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the lentils and the Garam Masala, and stir well and cook for a few minutes longer
- Add the water or stock, bring to a simmer and cook for ½ hour to 1 hour until lentils are soft
- Season with Salt and Pepper.
- It can be nice to finish this with a little sour or heavy cream.
- Add spinach or greens to brighten it up.
- You can buy the garam masala at the grocer or make your own. See below.
Simple Garam Masala Recipe:
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin
1 ½ tsp cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pc star anise or 1 tsp fennel
1 bay leaf
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp clove
½ tsp nutmeg
- If spices are already ground just mix them all together, otherwise place all ingredients in a spice mixer or small food processor and blend until powered.
This is a very individual blend so mix, match, add and subtract as you see fit.
Email questions to email@example.com